Monday, September 7, 2009


They just couldn't wait to get here! Saturday morning, September 5th, I asked Brent to go pick up some breakfast burritos for me before he headed out to West to help with the WestFest parade. He brought me breakfast at 7:15 am that morning and then left the house. West is about a 30 minute drive up I-35 from our house. After having my delicious breakfast I was laying on the couch in the living room watching some Saturday morning television and I decided to get up from the couch to get something across the room and BAM! My water broke! This was 7:45 am. I rushed to the guest bathroom and I was really trying to rationalize what just happened. I kept telling myself, "That did not just happen, that isn't what I think it was...was it?" It took me a good 5-10 minutes to knock myself out of it and call Brent. Brent was already at the parade site but nothing had really started yet. I said, "Honey, my water just broke." His response, "Are you kidding?!" Of course I'm not kidding! Who kids about something like that?! All he said after that was, "I'm on my way." He made record time getting back to the house, got all of our things together and we were off to Labor and Delivery at Hillcrest. Thank the Lord, Dr. Beaird was on-call all weekend. He was already in surgery for a c-section when we arrived, what a busy Saturday he was about to have. :) He came in to our room very soon after we arrived and checked to make sure my water had actually broken. I was thinking, if that wasn't my water breaking then I don't know what else it could have possibly been. He came back with a positive result really fast. He told Brent and I that our best bet would be to go ahead and deliver the girls. We had time to get all of the NICU staff available since it was during the day. If we waited until 2:00 am to determine that my labor was progressing, which it most likely would, it would be more difficult to call staff and nurses in from home to get ready for the delivery. Everyone was on board to deliver our WestFest babies. :)
It all happened so fast! We notified all of our family that it was definitely happening today, Mom and Dad were already on their way from Dallas when it was decided to go ahead and deliver. Less than an hour after that, I was wheeled back to surgery and they started my spinal block. Which, didn't hurt at all, I have to add. I was really worried about getting anesthesia so soon after my breakfast burritos, remember those? I knew what was going to happen and I didn't want to miss anything because I was getting sick all over the operating room. By the time the spinal kicked in they were bringing Brent in to sit next to me and away they went. I couldn't feel a thing, just a lot of tugging, but I heard the first cry! Addison was with us at 11:36 am!

Addison - 3 lbs. 13.6 oz. 16 3/4 in long
Next came Reagan at 11:37 am

Reagan - 3 lbs. 10 oz. 17 in. long

and then finally, Baylee at 11:38 am.
Baylee - 4 lbs. 1 oz. and 16 3/4 in long

Addison and Reagan are the identical and have light brown hair and Baylee is the fraternal with dark brown hair like Brent's. All three were crying as they were rushed into OR 2 to be assessed by the NICU team lead by Dr. Wheeler, the neonatologist. I was taken to recovery and Brent went up to the NICU with the girls. After about an hour I was taken to my final room in the Mother/Baby unit. The babies are all doing better and better each day. Addison and Reagan started out needing the ventilator and some blood pressure medication, but we are happy that they are all breathing on their own as of today and they seem to be regulating their their blood pressure really well. We can't wait to hold them and that will come soon... We will post more pictures and video as soon as we can. I will be released from the hospital tomorrow morning and we will be back and forth from the house to the hospital all the time over the next few weeks.

Thank you all for the prayers!
Michelle and Brent

No comments:

Post a Comment