Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Miracle

I have been holding out on you, my blog readers, I really have.

Partly, because we wanted to wait for a 100% confirmation and partly, because Brent and I have both been trying to completely wrap our heads around this.

Let me back up to, let's see, the day before Christmas Eve 2010.

I realized during the morning of this day that I was late....not late to an appointment but "late." I'm never late. Ever since having the girls - bing, bang, boom right on time every month. But I realized after checking my calendar that I was about a week late. "Hmmmmmm....what to do?", I wondered. I couldn't get the girls in the car for a quick run to CVS, plus, it is ridiculous to even entertain the thought that I could be....
So, next best option, wait for Brent to call me on his way home from work and ask him to run into CVS for me. "Ohhhh, what will he say?" I chuckled to myself. ;)
So, right on time, Brent calls when he leaves work to let me know he is on his way home.
I said, "Heyyyy honeyyyy...."
"Yes?" He asks.
"Would you run a quick errand for me on your way home?"
"Sure, what do you need?"
"Would you run into CVS and pick up a Home Pregnancy Test?"
Silence on the other end of the phone...
"A what?"
"A Home Pregnancy Test...I'm a few days late and I just need to make sure that I'm just late...no big deal, I'm sure I'm not pregnant, but I just want to be sure before we leave for the holidays."
"Well, ok, if it will ease your mind."
Brent arrives home a few minutes later with plastic bag in hand and passes it over to me.
He said, "I got the three pack...in case you get one of these wild whims in the future you will have a few extras on hand." He then proceeds to complain how crazy CVS is at 6:00 pm and that he thought as he was walking in, "This place is crazy and I'm about to go in here and waste twenty dollars."
I left Brent with the girls to run to the bathroom to do my thing. As I unwrapped the test I thought, there is no way but I've got to check instead of wondering all night.
The test says to wait 2 minutes for a result....It read POSITIVE (+) immediately.
As I sat there, test in hand, I thought...."No, this can't be right. Can it? I mean, we have less than a 1% chance of getting pregnant on our own. Brent's not going to believe me, I'd better take the test instructions with me so he can check for himself."
I walked back into the kitchen with the test and instructions behind my back.
Brent said, "Sooo, it's negative, right?"
I just smiled.
He said, "Just say it, quit messing with me! It's negative."
I said, "Nope, positive."
He said, "Your kidding........really?! Are you reading that test right?"
I said, "I knew you wouldn't believe me so I brought the instructions for you."
He looked over the test and the instructions and then said, "I can't believe it!"
He kept saying that over and over at random moments of silence throughout the entire night. :)
Our next conversation - Do we tell family over Christmas or wait until we know for sure?
Brent and I have always been very close to our families and open about everything so we voted to go ahead and tell them. They were just as shocked as we were but very happy for us.
Our next conversation - What is Dr. Beaird going to say? :)
Brent and I both really like my OB, Dr. Beaird, he is just wonderful. And I had told Brent about the last conversation I had with Dr. Beaird about contraception. :)
After my conversation with Dr. Beaird, Brent and I decided we would leave the next 5 years up in the air and if God wanted to miraculously bless us, great! If not, we would worry about prevention when the girls turned 5.
Brent and I also had a conversation during our trip to Oregon that we would discuss pursuing another child when the girls turned 2 and see what we thought then so it isn't as if we weren't entertaining the idea of having a 4th child AT ALL, but we you tried so hard to get pregnant the first time and thought you couldn't get pregnant on your own and it happens it is quite a shock!
I didn't sleep much that night. I tossed and turned and got up at midnight to take another test...still positive.
6 am - I'll take this third test, surely all 3 tests can't be defective...still positive. :)
As it seems now, I will be due with this baby 11 days before the girls' 2nd birthday. How crazy is that? 3 - 2 year olds and a newborn...we just thought our lives were nuts, it's about to get a whole lot crazier on our way to a family of SIX!
Huse Baby #4!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What incredible news, congratulations! My GGGs are a month younger than yours and I can only imagine all the thoughts racing through your mind right now. Thinking of you, and hoping for a safe, easy, stress-free, full term pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Michelle! Just got the news from Christy earlier today. We are so happy for you and Brent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Such great news! What a Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I cant imagine getting that news, i am a mother of triplet boys born september 2009, i watch your blog as it is nice to see someone going through the same things as we are.
    We also have a blog now as inspired by you. Keep up the good work
    Vanessa
    www.americantriplets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete