Tuesday, August 10, 2010

3 Sick Chicks!

My sweet little chick-a-dees are sick! :( Yesterday morning when I woke the girls up, Baylee was in a VERY BAD MOOD...I mean BAD. That isn't like her at all. She is usually happy go lucky and bouncing around in the mornings. I checked her head and she had a low fever so I attributed her fussiness to teething and thought she might be getting a new tooth.
About an hour into our morning, Reagan started to catch the bad mood bug. They were both hanging off of me and wanted to be in my lap laying on me all morning. Reagan had a low fever too, so I gave her some meds like I had given Baylee and put everyone down for their nap.
After their nap, Addie, caught the bug and was sooo fussy. She had a fever too and I thought, "there is no way they are all teething on the exact same day, something must be really wrong. Ear infections maybe?" At one point Addie laid down on the floor of the playroom and just shut her eyes while I stroked her hair with my hand and she never does that. So, at that point, I called the doctor.
They fit us in at 4:15 that afternoon. Brent came home from work early to help Sarah and me take the girls to the doctor. All three of the girls were miserable by the time we got to the doctors office and they were burning up.
Our pedi, Dr. Dewbre, came in and checked the girls out and the minute she looked at Baylee's throat she said, "Ahhhh, that's it. She has big blisters on the back of her throat." Dr. Dewbre told us that it is either hand, foot and mouth (which they don't have any blisters on their feet or hands right now) or it is a version of viral herpes (not the STD, folks) that kids can get in their mouths. There isn't really anything they can take for it since it is viral, we pretty much just have to let it run its course and treat the symptoms to keep them hydrated. Dr. Dewbre said that some kids can get it so bad that they don't want to eat or drink anything and can end up in the hospital from dehydration. We don't want that.
We left the doctor's office last night and the girls were just miserable. Brent ran to the pharmacy to get the meds we needed for the girls while Sarah and I took them home to get ready for bed. By the time Brent made it home, Addison and Baylee were asleep in my lap and Reagan was asleep in Sarah's. They were really worn out and hurting but they took a really good bedtime bottle and went right to sleep.
Baylee was the only girl who didn't sleep through the night. She woke up about 8:30 pm and I just didn't have the heart to let her CIO back to sleep since I knew she was probably hurting. So Baylee ended up sleeping with me in the recliner for about two hours until I woke up and put her back to bed and then she was fine the rest of the night.
Today has been so much better for the girls. They are in better moods and Gran is here to help out so they love that. Reagan is the only one not really wanting to drink much today, so I am about to resort to Pedialyte for her bottles to get some good hydration going.
The doctor said it would be about 3-4 days before they would be over it. So far, they are doing really well considering the circumstances. We are just staying inside for the next few days out of the 105 degree heat! Hopefully, they will get over this really fast. Brent reminded me how lucky we have been that the girls have really only been sick a few times their first year and he's right, they have all been in good health for the majority of their first year and we are very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment